The lighthouse at Cape Agulhas reminds us to rely always on God’s steadfast light and guidance, no matter what storms or troubles befall us.
26 March 2020
As the coronavirus situation continues to evolve rapidly, we want to share with you how SIM South Africa is responding and caring for our mission workers. Our executive leadership team is working in relation to our crisis management plan locally and under the global SIM crisis management leaders.
Our Mission Workers
We thank God that all our mission workers are currently safe and well.
If our mission workers are in a safe location, in good health, and well supported, they have been encouraged to remain in their assigned field country. Each of our SIM Field Countries has a team in place attuned to the local contexts and local risks and can advise our mission workers accordingly in consultation with SIM South Africa. Mission workers who were in high-risk areas of contracting COVID-19 have already been temporarily relocated.
“And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.”1 John 5:14
We are conscious of those considered to be in a higher risk category, which includes older adults (those aged 60 and over) and people who have serious chronic medical conditions (i.e. heart disease, diabetes and lung disease). We are reviewing their situation in consultation with field leadership. Those most at risk have been asked to consider the option of relocation to a place where medical resources are more available. Precautions will be taken to ensure their safety.
SIM South Africa has communicated our guidelines with our mission workers for their various contexts. The recommendations and regulations surrounding the coronavirus pandemic are constantly changing. We appreciate your understanding and partnership as we work alongside our mission workers to support them during this time.
Please do keep in touch with your mission worker at this time and let them know that you are praying for them. It will be a great encouragement to them.
Our Home Ministry Staff in South Africa
As South Africa enters lock down from the 27th March – 16th April, our office workers will continue to carry out their functions by working remotely from home.
All SIM South Africa events are cancelled until further notice.
As we navigate this health crisis, we remain confident in the truth that God is faithful and sovereign in every circumstance.
We would value your prayers as we continue to walk through these uncertain days. Since SIM’s beginnings, the focus has always been to respond to the needs around us “By Prayer.” Please join us as we call on the Lord during this time.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com. Thank you for your partnership as we continue to Make the Gospel Global.
Prayer Points for COVID-19
Please join us as we call on the Lord during this global health crisis. 1 John 5:14 says, “And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.”
- Pray for the Lord to intervene to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
- Pray for those who are sick, that they will have access to the treatment they need and receive healing.
- Pray for the health workers who are caring for those with COVID-19.
- Pray for grieving families who have lost loved ones to the coronavirus.
- Pray for pastors serving their churches and communities affected and infected by COVID-19.
- Pray for the body of Christ worldwide, that the church would rise up to pray and to support the sick and their caregivers in practical and sacrificial ways.
- Pray for government officials and decision-makers who are leading countries and organisations through the crisis.
- Pray for those waking up each day to fallout caused by COVID-19, that they would reach out to the Lord.
- Pray for our mission workers and supporters worldwide today, especially those serving in areas acutely impacted by COVID-19.
- Pray for all those who live and die without the knowledge of Jesus to hear about him through this crisis and respond to his love.