Who We Are
SIM is made up of more than 4000 currently active workers serving in nearly 70 countries. Our multi-cultural, multi-skilled teams serve on every continent except Antarctica! SIM workers are international themselves, representing about 70 nationalities.
Purpose and Mission Statement
Convinced that no one should live and die without hearing God’s good news, we believe that he has called us to make disciples of Jesus Christ in communities where he is least known.
Therefore, compelled by God’s great love and empowered by the Holy Spirit…
- We cross barriers to proclaim the crucified and risen Christ, expressing his love and compassion among those who live and die without Him.
- We make disciples who will trust and obey Jesus, and become part of Christ-centered churches.
- We work together with churches to fulfil God’s mission across cultures locally and globally.
- We facilitate the participation in cross-cultural ministry of those whom God is calling.
The vision of SIM is to see a witness to Christ’s love where he is least known, disciples of Jesus expressing God’s love in their communities, and Christ-centred churches among all peoples.
By faith we see…
In the world:
- A vibrant testimony to the gospel through character, word and action among communities where currently Jesus is least known.
- Followers of Jesus living out the gospel in unity and in the power of the Holy Spirit, making disciples who trust him, obey him, and play a full part in church life.
- Churches serving their communities and reaching out with the gospel locally and globally.
- A community growing in faith, in obedience to Jesus, and in ministry competence.
- Workers crossing barriers with the gospel, being and making disciples of Jesus, expressing His love and compassion.
- Multi-ethnic and multi-skilled teams serving together in love and harmony.
- Courageous leaders investing in the development of others for life transforming ministries.
- Effective partnerships with Christ-centred churches and organisations facilitating the spread of the gospel.
- The redeemed from all tribes, languages, peoples and nations worshipping the living God.
The Core Values of SIM are accepted by all national branches world wide.
Committed to Biblical Truth
We are committed to biblical truth and joyfully affirm historic, evangelical Christianity. With courage, we declare to the nations the good news of new life in Jesus Christ.
Dependent on God
“By Prayer” and in faith we depend on God for the provision of all our needs. We will demonstrate diligence, integrity, sharing, and accountability in cultivating and using the resources God provides.
A People of Prayer
Prayer is foundational in our life and ministry. “By Prayer” we praise God, seek his direction, request resources, and call upon the Holy Spirit to empower our ministries.
We are committed to the urgent and unfinished task of making disciples of Jesus Christ in all nations. In doing this we desire to work in loving, trusting, interdependent relationships with churches and other partners who share our vision.
We are committed to being a Mission that begins, nurtures, and equips churches to be the expression of Christ in their communities and to reach out with cross-cultural missionary vision and action.
Concerned About Human Needs
We humbly acknowledge that the ultimate human need is to know God. We also believe that he has called us to compassionate, holistic service in this broken world by alleviating suffering, fostering development, and effecting change in society.
A Christ-like Community
We desire to be a transforming community dedicated to becoming like Christ in love, servanthood, holiness, and obedience to the Father. We believe that following Christ’s example means sacrifice, sometimes hardship, and perhaps even death.
A Learning, Growing Community
We believe in the worth and giftedness of each person in SIM and of those we seek to serve. We practise the giving and receiving of discipleship, life-long learning, consultative leadership, mutual development, and training as enduring disciplines.
Strengthened Through Diversity
We are intentionally interdenominational, international, and multiethnic. We believe this expresses the unity of the body of Christ in the world. We believe we will be more effective in ministry as we incorporate the richness of cultural diversity in SIM and celebrate our oneness in Christ.
Responsive to Our Times
We will respond with creativity and courage to evolving needs and opportunities under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. To be effective and relevant, our ministries, priorities, and structures are subject to ongoing evaluation and adaptation.